Department of Psychiatry
About the Department
- Psychiatry is a branch of medicine dealing with integrated mental health and its comprehensive treatment. In view of its compelling barriers in the form of social Stigma and ignorance about various biologically determined mental illnesses it qualifies as an important branch of Medicine. From Ancient beliefs of witchcraft to current socio-cultural magi co-religious practices Psychiatry as a science has come a very long way over the last century. This particular branch of medicine is unique in the sense that it follows Bio-psycho-social model rather than the medical model. We utilize the most modern psychiatric/psychological techniques to impart knowledge to students as well as to provide basic mental health services catering to all sections of the society.
- Our department from its conception has been under steady growth and at the moment functions within different specialties of psychiatry including specially tailored Deaddiction treatment services. We also offer different modes of treatment such as modified ECT, Biofeedback, Narcoanalysis and various psychotherapy techniques including IQ and Psychometric assessment. Our Faculty is actively involved in child psychiatric and suicide prevention services. There is a student’s guidance clinic operating in the college providing counseling to students regularly. We conduct Camps to create awareness among general public about Mental illnesses. We also provide regular Liaison services to the patients admitted in other general and specialty wards collaborating with physicians and other specialists for managing co morbid illnesses.
- We ensure an analytical academic schedule balancing theoretical and clinical basics of psychiatric medicine. We have smart classrooms with smart board and internet facility and also equipped with a department library comprising varied range of psychiatric books.
Message from HOD
We provide regular Knowledge based and clinical skill based UG teaching. Our faculties are actively involved in research activities and also guide our students to involve in research activities. Our faculties regularly attend and contribute to various academic programs.
We provide Out Patient as well as In Patient services to patients from all walks of life. We provide psychiatric treatment for illnesses ranging from mild behavioral disturbances to Major psychiatric disorders. We also provide specialty services in the form of Neuropsychiatric, Psychomotor, Suicide prevention and deaddiction clinics throughout the working days. Patients are benefitted in the form of pharmacological as well as non pharmacological modes of treatment. Modified electroconvulsive therapy as an alternative mode of treatment for specific indications is done.
We are devoted in the conception of a prime academic psychiatric institution in providing exceptional hospital and community mental health care, shaping students to become compassionate clinicians and to delve into dynamic clinical research.
- To create highly structured and quality mental health care services utilizing modern scientific treatment modalities rooted in BIO-PSYCHO-SOCIAL
- To offer empathetic and comprehensive psychiatric care with appropriate socio-cultural context intended to reach medically unreached populations with excellent hospital services and state of the art facilities.
- To commit to offer the finest educational training aiming at imparting fundamental psychiatric knowledge, compassionate interviewing, encouraging creative thinking and upholding universal ethical values.
- To employ novel teaching methods and to update in clinical treatments and scientific research to create integrated training opportunities for students, residents and faculty.
- To educate students, physicians, paramedics and other mental health professionals about psychiatric illnesses and their psychosocial ramifications.
- To create awareness among patients, their caregivers and the general public about basic psychiatric illnesses and their symptoms in so doing annulling stigma & ignorance about mental illness.
- To conduct inventive and relevant research into the understanding and treatment of psychiatric disorders, and into the prevention of these conditions.
- To impart such knowledge and skills that may enable an Undergraduate student/CRRI to diagnose and treat common psychiatric disorders, handle psychiatric emergencies, to refer complications and to gain an in depth knowledge on the Psychosocial aspects of various Psychiatric disorders.
- To provide essential, in addition to newer modes of mental health treatment utilizing Psychiatric, psychosocial and community based treatment methods cancelling on the stigma and ignorance thereby creating awareness and aiming for comprehensive mental health.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- Understand human behavior and its application in patient care.
- Understand the concept of motivation, its impact on human behavior and illness related behavior.
- Understand types of emotions and their impact on health of the individual.
- Understand different cognitive processes, comprehend memory process, describe short term memory and differentiate it with long term memory, list causes of forgetting, and illustrate methods of improving memory.
- Comprehend concept of thinking and its application to health care.
- Understand nature of intelligence, explain growth of intelligence, role of heredity and environment in intellectual development & intelligence assessment.
- Define personality, list determinants of personality, understand different theories of personality and learn methods of personality assessment.
- Introducing concept of psychiatric disorders and their classificatory systems.
- Awareness of general issues about etiology of psychiatric disorders and methodology used to study etiology of these disorders.
- Ability to diagnose and treat common psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia, acute manic episode , depression, anxiety disorders including phobias and OCD, conversion and dissociative disorders.
- To be able to diagnose severe/suicidal cases of depression and to refer them.
- Ability to diagnosis and treat alcohol/drug dependence and withdrawal states.
- Ability to diagnose common psychiatric disorders in children.
- To know the role of psychological therapies in treatment of psychiatric disorders and role of psychological testing in assessment of psychiatric disorders.