DEPARTMENT OF OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY
AIM / GOAL OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To provide comprehensive health care for women.
- To train medical students and paramedical personnel to achieve the expected comprehensive health care.
- To conduct national and international conferences and workshops to empower the younger generation.
- To improve the standard of research.
- To achieve zero percent maternal mortality.
- To enable undergraduates and postgraduates to improve clinical and communication skills.
- To establish a state of art skills lab for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Well equipped infrastructure, constant research programs, collaborative research with other departments
- Functioning of Pharmacovigilance cell and Drug Information Centre in the hospital and college.
- Sophisticated Research lab with latest Instruments.
- Departmental library with all new edition text books and internet facility that gives access to recent cut-edge research.
- Easy approachability of our faculties to both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students.
INFRASTUCTURE OF DEPARTMENT
- The department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, TSRMMCH & RC is a well-equipped tertiary care centre which fulfills the needs of the urban and rural population of Trichy, Perambalur, Ariyalur, Kallakurichi and its surrounding areas. It has start of art equipments and well experienced and dedicated doctors who work tirelessly to provide comprehensive, high quality obstetrics and gynaecology care.
- Our Outpatient Services extend from 8 am to 4 pm with extended timings up to 7.00 pm. Obstetric casualty is open 24 hours a day to provide emergency services.
- We have five well ventilated OProoms and offer Antenatal, Gynaecology review patient, Post Natal and Cancer screening services.
- We Treat an Average of 75 Antenatal patient and 60 Gynaecology patients a day.
- We average around 4 deliveries a day of which 60% of patients belong to the high risk category. We provide comprehensive, high quality, low cost and high risk obstetric care.
- We have a separate USG room in our OP setup, offering early pregnancy screening , identification of fetal growth discrepancies, follicular growth monitoring in infertility and scans for patients with gynaecological problems.
- We also have a minor Operation Theatre for out patient procedures and a cancer screening room with a video colposcopy.
- Our labour ward complex has three air conditioned Labour rooms – two clean and one septic rooms.
- We have separate well ventilated waiting rooms for high risk antenatal patients and a separate room for eclampsia patients.
- Attached to the labour ward complex is the OT Complex with two well-equipped operation theatres that functions 24 hours a day.
- Immediate Post Natal care is extended by providing 10 beds in a well equipped maternity intensive care (MICU) unit.
- Our inpatient wards are large and well ventilated. We have 60 beds for obstetric inpatients and 30 beds for gynaecology patients. All ward have clean attached bathrooms.
- We have a spacious library stocked with latest edition books and journals. We also have demonstration rooms for students, equipped with audiovisual aids. Separate rooms are also provided for our faculty.
- The strength of our department is our workforce. Our department is headed by Professor Dr.Revwathy . She functions effectively with her team of two Professors, two Associate professors, Five Assistant Professors and five Senior Residents and five Junior Residents.Our Assistant professors and Senior Residents are involved in rotational 24 hours duties and offer comprehensive emergency Obstetric and gynaecological servies.
Message from HOD
I, Dr.S.REVWATHY, Professor and Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, TSRMMCH&RC, take pride in leading the department. We have grown from conducting 40 deliveries per year in 2011 to more than 1200 per year in 2019.We do more than 1000 major surgeries per year. This is possible only through the dedication and commitment of our faculties.
The department functions as three units, that coordinate both outpatient and inpatient work seamlessly.
Our academic schedule spans from IInd year MBBS students till the final year students. We conduct 15-20 theory classes for the undergraduates every month and handle clinical postings for the undergraduates. We improve their clinical acumen by exposing them to clinical case presentations, conducting and assisting deliveries and surgeries. We update their knowledge by conducting periodical CMEs, Conferences, journal clubs and guest lectures.
I am extremely happy to share that we have welcomed five post-Graduates onto our family. We look forward to facilitating the next generation of Obstetricians