Department of Transfusion Medicine Blood Bank & Immunohematology
The Blood bank is situated in the hospital Premises in the 1 Floor, very close to the ICU & Haemodialysis unit and it is attached to the Department of Pathology.
The blood Bank was started in June 2009 and the License to prepare whole human blood was received on 03.06.2009and it was renewed in 2014 with a validity period for another 5 years (i.e.up to 02.06.2019)
We received the Camp License in December 2011 to conduct outreach Blood donation Camps and we have conducted 35 Blood donation camps so far.
We got a License to prepare blood components on 13.02.2013 with a validity period of 5 years which has also been renewed up to 02.06.2019. We are preparing the following components since then.
- Packed Red Blood cells
- Fresh Frozen Plasma
- Platelet Concentrate.
- Cryo Precipitate.
Our Blood Bank caters to the needs of the poor and needy people who are admitted to this hospital from Trichy and its surrounding districts. A high quality of service is given to these patients at an affordable cost.
We also issue blood components to outside hospitals in and around Trichy at an affordable cost.
A Medical Officer, a staff nurse and a Blood Bank technician have undergone training at the Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University Chennai, in basic blood bank techniques for 15 days & in Component Separation for 7 days for which they have received Certificates from this University.
Objectives of the Department
- To Issue the right blood to the right person at the right time.
- To avoid Transfusion reaction by following the protocols in bleeding screening cross Matching, storing and issuing of blood very meticulously.
- Proper disposal of Expired units and Positive units for HIV, HBsAg, HCV,VDRL.
- Following universal precautions to avoid needle stick injury and following proper Biomedical waste management.
- Blood Grouping & Rh typing (Tube Method – Forward & Reverse)
- Du test ( Rh confirmation test
- Coombs test (Direct & indirect)
- Screening test (HIV, HBsAg, HCV, VDRL &MP) in Donor’s Samples. + Estimation of HB of Donors sample by calorimetric method, Eliza method
- Cross Matching before Issue of Blood (Saline & Coombs X matching)
- Quality control – grouping Sera, Coomb’s sera, NS, Pooled Cells & Blood Components- PRBC,FFP,PRC.
- Sterility check of Empty Bags & Blood Bags once a Month with the help of Microbiology Department.
- Investigation of Transfusion Reaction if any.
- Sterility check of the areas in Blood Bank once in 3 Months after fumigation.
- Collecting whole Blood from Voluntary Blood Donors after Proper Screening & pre Donation counseling
- Conduction of Blood Donation Camps In house as well as outside.
- Conduction of In house Blood Grouping & Rh typing for School Children and Various Organizations.
- Performing Blood Grouping & Rh typing for all the MBBS Students at the time of their admission every year.
Syllabus Exam pattern
As a part of Pathology Syllabus compiled by Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University
- Taking classes for II MBBS students & CCRI, MD.Pathology post Graduate when they come for Lab Posting and giving an end of the Posting evaluation test to assess their knowledge in Lab & Blood Bank Postings.
- Conducting Practical’s and teaching how to do Blood Grouping & Rh typing by slide & tube method (Forward & Reverse) as a part of clinical Pathology Practical’s.
- Keeping various Blood Bank equipments and Blood Bags during Practical’s & orals.
- Blood Bank Technician training for Component Separation by Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University
Incidence of Transfusion Transmitted Disease among voluntary Donors in our Blood Bank – on going Project.
The Transfusion Committee of our hospital is reconstituted with the following members.
- Ex Officio Chairman – Dean
- President – Medical Superintendent
- Secretary – Dr.R.Pramila, Prof. of Pathology
- Member Secretary – Dr.M.Nagarathinam–Blood Bank Medical Officer
- Professor and Head, Department of General Medicine
- Professor and Head, Department of General Surgery
- Professor and Head, Department of Orthopedics
- Professor and Head, Department of OBG
- Professor and Head, Department of Neurosurgery
- Professor and Head, Department of Nephrology
- Professor and Head, Department of Chest & TB
- Professor and Head, Department of Pediatrics
- Professor and Head, Department of Microbiology
- Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacology
- Coordinator- NABH
- Resident Medical Officer
- Blood Bank Medical Officer – 2
- Nursing Superintendent
Frequency: Monthly Meeting
- The Member secretary shall be in-charge for maintaining records, files, and documents related to their committee and its activities.
- The Member secretary shall convene monthly meeting under intimation to Chairperson and President
- The Member secretary shall utilize the services of his office for recording minutes of the meeting.
- The Committee shall ensure that the Transfusion procedures are adhered scrupulously by all staff of the hospital
- Every year we celebrate Voluntary Blood Donors Day on June 14th which happens to be Birthday of Karl Landsteiner- the discoverer of Blood groups. We conduct awareness programme for the public & also conduct Quiz Poster essay and poem competition among students. We felicitate all our Voluntary Donors on that day. We give Mementos & gifts to the prize winners on that day.
- We also celebrate voluntary Blood Donation Day on October 1 st of every year we conduct voluntary Blood Donation camp on that day and motivate Donors to donate Blood on that day.
- We also celebrate Lab Technicians Day on March 13 th of every year along with our parent department ( Pathology ) where we conduct various quiz competitions Essay speech & song competitions and poster presentation and give away prizes to the best 2 or 3 of them. We also give a shield to the Best Technician of the year.
Administrative contributions and Achievements of the Department
The Department of Transfusions Medicine started functioning from July 2009 before which all the Medical officers & Technicians were attached to the central Lab and Pathology Department. We got the License for whole Blood in June 2009 License No being 303/ 28C which is valid up to June 2024.In the last 3 ½ years the voluntary donors coming to our hospital has gradually increased by our repeated motivation programmes. Students particularly from M.A.M College & Ramakrishna college of Engineering come forward readily to donate blood voluntarily, whenever they are called. Various staff working in our own hospital & college and also students from our medical college, TRP Engineering College & our Catering College have voluntarily donated blood many times for many poor & needy patients.
- We have got the Camp Licence in December 2011 which is valid for two years from the date of issue. We have conducted Blood donation camps in M.A.M college and MRF Limited and are planning to conduct many more camps in future with the help of the Administrative office & Marketing Dept.
- We have collected blood from more than 1000 donors in the year 2019, the best number in the last 2 years.
- We have formed a blood donor s club where many of our students have become members and help us during emergency requirements.
- We have counseled all the donors who were Positive for HIV, HBsAg, or HCV and motivated them to undergo proper treatment.
- Last but not the least, we are planning to issue only blood components in future and not the whole blood in order to minimize the incidence of Transfusion Reaction.
- We are planning to undergo special training programme and update our knowledge in component separation in the near future.
Proposal for M.D. Transfusion Medicine course
Ms. Kumutham DMLT
Services Offered In Blood Bank
- Blood grouping & Rh typing for patients and donors.
- Tube method forward & reverse grouping
- Du test (Rh confirmatory test).
- Donor hemoglobin estimation.
- Coomb’s test- Direct & Indirect
- Screening tests- HIV, HBsAg, HCV, Malaria & Syphilis, Elisa method.
- Component separation. (PRBC, FFP, PC & Cryoppt).
- Cross Matching –Saline and Coomb,s phase – both
- Tube and Gel method.
- QC of Anti sera, QC of PRBC, FFP & PC.
- Sterility check of Empty bags & blood bags.
- Investigation of Transfusion Reaction.
- Conduction of In house & Outreach Blood donation camps.
- In house & Outreach Blood grouping camps.
|1.||DR.V.SARADA M.D||H.OD / PATHOLOGY & BLOOD BANK|
|2.||DR.R.PRAMILA M.D,DCP||PROFESOR OF PATHOLOGY & BLOOD BANK|
|3.||DR.RONALD J. BOSCO M.D||BLOOD BANK MEDICAL OFFICER|
|4.||DR.C.S.SRI SUGHANYA M.D||BLOOD BANK MEDICAL OFFICER|
|1.||MS. DHARMASANGAMITHRA||STAFF NURSE|
|2.||MS. PRIYADHARSHINI||STAFF NURSE|
|3.||MS.KUMUDHAM DMLT||TECHNICAL SUPERVISOR|
|4.||MRS.N.POOVAMANI DMLT||BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN|
|5.||.MR.R.VIJAYAKUMAR DMLT||BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN|
|6.||MS. MUTHULAKSHMI DMLT||BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN|
|7.||MRS. DHARANI DMLT||BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN|
|8.||MRS. R.PUSHPAVALLI||B.B. DATA ENTRY OPERATOR|
|9.||Ms. R.LAKSHMI||STORE KEEPER|
- Teaching staff
S.NO NAME DESIGNATION 1. DR.V.SARADA M.D H.OD / PATHOLOGY & BLOOD BANK 2. DR.R.PRAMILA M.D,DCP PROFESOR OF PATHOLOGY & BLOOD BANK 3. DR.RONALD J. BOSCO M.D BLOOD BANK MEDICAL OFFICER 4. DR.C.S.SRI SUGHANYA M.D BLOOD BANK MEDICAL OFFICER
- Non-Teaching staff
S.NO NAME DESIGNATION 1. MS. DHARMASANGAMITHRA STAFF NURSE 2. MS. PRIYADHARSHINI STAFF NURSE 3. MS.KUMUDHAM DMLT TECHNICAL SUPERVISOR 4. MRS.N.POOVAMANI DMLT BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN 5. .MR.R.VIJAYAKUMAR DMLT BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN 6. MS. MUTHULAKSHMI DMLT BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN 7. MRS. DHARANI DMLT BLOOD BANK TECHNICIAN 8. MRS. R.PUSHPAVALLI B.B. DATA ENTRY OPERATOR 9. Ms. R.LAKSHMI STORE KEEPER